ISMAR2010 is taking place in Korea in just a few short weeks and in addition to the main Science and Technology Program, the Arts, Media and Humanities Program are running a couple of competitions for the creative types.
Note that you can enter these competitions regardless of whether or not you are lucky enough to attend ISMAR2010.
Design a marker
Traditional markers used for AR applications are the boring black and white affair. ISMAR are calling on your, imagination and your sense of color, shape or medium to design a marker to extend the traditional paper format, exploring ideas like:
- innovative mediums (e.g. what about using bricks, sand? stone? organic material like grass or leaves? food? liquid? foam? textile material? electronic, etc)
- innovative scale or dimension (marker in 2.5D? trompe l’oeil?),
- kinetic markers, ephemeral markers,
For more details, take a look at www.ismar10.org/index.php/MarkerDesignContest
At Augmented Planet we love the futuristic videos that show how augmented reality will change our lives in the future.
ISMAR2010 are running a competition for video editors to show off their skills and have created two categories for submission:
- Concept: a video design concept exploring a potential usage of augmented reality in personal or professional life. The video can use 2D or 3D animation, video fx, photomontage etc. or it can be only purely conceptual. The conceptual video should address the program theme of ISMAR for this year, BORDERLESS.
- Applications: a developed prototype, product campaign or commercial product that addresses a specific need or goal. The submitted video should demonstrate the motivation of the application, what the application can do, the potential user feedback, and (optional but reccommended) the future of this type of technology.
For more details, take a look at www.ismar10.org/index.php/VideoContest